Here are some games that have the potential to be worthwhile to watch this week. Now the word ‘potential’ is always a dubious way to introduce something, more times than not, they don’t work out the way you hope that they will. Also, what constitutes a good game for a spectator is one thing, and what makes for a good game for a coach is something entirely different. So, from a spectator’s perspective here are five games that could be worth the price of admission.
- #20 St. Mary’s at # 2 Brophy (at Phx. College) – now on paper St. Mary’s doesn’t have a snowballs chance, but last year it was the same type of scenario and the magic was there. Now, I don’t think that I would bet the Bingo money on this game, but you never know.
- #1 Liberty at #15 Desert Edge – this game is very important for Desert Edge, who could make a huge statement with a victory. Being that they are 5-2, and on the edge of being eligible for the post season, a win would jump them up the power chart.
- #11 Chavez at #18 Fairfax – the first time that these two neighbor’s will meet in football at the varsity level. This has bragging rights, power point standings and all of that and more on the line. The two newest of the Phoenix Union Schools meeting for the first time, and both are successful programs, which one will go home with a smile on Friday?
- #8 Apollo at #2 Deer Valley – both teams are on track to make the playoffs, but there are distinct advantages to being one of the top four seeds. Deer Valley has stayed perfect for seven weeks, but can they put last week’s big victory behind them and show up this week with the same focus?
- #3 Pinnacle at #6 Boulder Creek – again two successful programs battling for playoff seeding and bragging rights. This is one of the games that make high school football what it is, two solid programs going at each other late in the season.
I had a high school coach, who explained that the word ‘potential’ was French and meant that you weren’t very good yet (loose translation of his exact words). So, hopefully, these games will live up to the advance billing.
Now, the rankings that I use are from the AIA Power Point charts: really the only one’s that matter. Brophy, St. Mary’s, Pinnacle, Boulder Creek, Chavez and Fairfax are in Division I. Deer Valley and Apollo are in Division II; and Liberty and Desert Edge are in Division III.
If you have a chance, please go out and watch in person a high school football game. Dollar for dollar, it is one of the best deals in town. These kids, the football players, the cheer squads and the band members work hard, together they make Friday Night special!